This qualification is suitable for people who apply advanced practical knowledge to coordinate, facilitate and maintain the work health and safety (WHS) program in one or more fields of work in an organisation, such as a WHS practitioner or HR practitioner. They may work under the guidance of an occupational health and safety professional.
This qualification reflects the role of individuals who analyse, design and execute judgements using wide-ranging technical, creative, conceptual or managerial competencies. Their knowledge base may be specialised or broad. These individuals are often accountable for group outcomes. Distance learning and Recognition of Prior Learning is offered with this course.
Job roles and titles vary across different industry sectors. Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Work Health and Safety Advisor
- Work Health and Safety Auditor
- Work Health and Safety Manager
- Work Health and Safety Specialist
- Senior Consultant – WHS and Risk Management.
Pathways into the qualification:
Candidates may enter the qualification through a number of entry points demonstrating potential to undertake vocational education and training at advanced diploma level, including:
- after achieving the BSB51312 Diploma of Work Health and Safety (all core units of competency);
- BSBWHS502A Manage effective WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS503A Contribute to the systematic management of WHS risk
- BSBWHS504A Manage WHS hazards and risks
- BSBWHS505A Investigate WHS incidents
- BSBWHS506A Contribute to developing, implementing and maintaining WHS management systems
- providing evidence of competency in the core units required for the BSB51312 Diploma of Work Health and Safety or other relevant qualification/s
- with extensive vocational experience in planning, implementing and evaluating their own work and the work of others with safety responsibilities but without formal WHS qualifications.
Examples of indicative job roles for candidates seeking entry based upon their vocational experience include:
- WHS Manager
- WHS Practitioner
- Senior HS Officer